Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Garlic and Chive Mashed Potatoes

When I order Alice Springs Chicken at the Outback, I always order garlic mashed potatoes rather than the "Aussie Chips" that are the meal's default side. Since I was making this chicken dish tonight, I searched the internet for a yummy-sounding, but easy, recipe. Tyler Florence over at the Food Network's website had just what I needed.

I don't have a food mill or a potato ricer, so I just threw these into the KA Mixer. I didn't quite get the creamy texture that I would have otherwise, but they were still really good. A tad garlicky, but good!



Ingredients:
  • 4 to 6 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
  • 3 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 tablespoons chopped chives

Put the cut potatoes into a large pot, cover them with cold water, and add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile, in a small pot heat the cream, butter, garlic, and thyme. While the potatoes are still warm, press them through a potato ricer or food mill into a bowl. Stir in the warm cream a bit at a time, straining out the solids, until the potatoes are fluffy. Season with salt and pepper and gently fold in the chives. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, garlic and chives sounds like a great pototo combination. I love to eat mashed potatoes, so I'll have to remember this recipe. The chicken looks tasty, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails