Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Chicken Cordon Casserole

I could not agree more with the Brown Eyed Chef's view of chicken: rolling it SUCKS. I can never get it to stay rolled, even with toothpicks, and all the "stuff" comes out. It's a mess, and I immediately pass over any recipe that involves rolling.


This casserole, however, was SO SO SO SO easy to assemble!! I was done prepping it in a matter of minutes, no exaggeration.

The only difference is that I used a 9x12 Pyrex, so my chicken fit in a single layer. Plus, my chicken breasts are always big and fat because I buy them at BJs, so I knew there'd be no way that the bottom layer would cook.

This dinner was absolutely DELICIOUS!! Funnily enough, I remembered while I was cooking that I do NOT like Swiss... Oops! But combined with the Laughing Cow and the ham, it was so good. The flavors blend together so nicely and it was really good. The cheese was nice and melty, the chicken was tender and juicy... Definitely a keeper!


INGREDIENTS
  • 8 oz chicken, pounded to about 1/2 inch
  • 2 slices of swiss cheese, cut in half (I used enough to cover the Pyrex - maybe 4 slices?)
  • 2 tbsp cream cheese (I used Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb.)
  • 2 slices lean thin sliced deli ham (See cheese note.)
  • 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/8 cup chicken broth

-Spray a casserole dish with a non stick spray.
-For the first layer lay out half the chicken. Sprinkle with a small amount of breadcrumbs.
-For the next layer spread cream cheese over 2 swiss cheese halves and lay over chicken.
-On top of the swiss cheese lay out ham.
-Next is another layer of chicken, topped with bread crumbs and another slice of swiss cheese.
-Pour a small amount of chicken broth around the edges so they don't dry out.
-Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Check to be sure that the BOTTOM layer of chicken is cooked thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails