So, with some help from some ladies on an online forum, I adjusted this a bit to include a little less guilt without losing the flavor. Then, instead of egg noodles, I served it over some Israili couscous. Yum!
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat free milk
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 8oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine the chicken, onion, mushrooms, broth mixture, and tomato sauce in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours. Shred the chicken and add in the parsley, yogurt, and and season with salt and pepper. Stir and turn to HIGH. Let sit without lid for 10-15 minutes. Serve over couscous.