So you can imagine, of course, that I was happy to come across Leslie Sarna's Veggie Burger. I've always been intrigued by this concept; a burger? Made without MEAT?! Really? But why not, right?
These were SO easy to make, and I was able to throw some into the freezer for quick lunches and dinners. I gave my husband and kids their burgers on a regular bun, but I put mine on a deli flat and then put it on the panini press. Perfection.
Summer Cookout Veggie Burgers
from Leslie Sarna
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup rolled oats (non-instant Oatmeal)
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (I like to use Panko also called Japanese bread crumbs if you can find them)
- 1 tsp. (or more) chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- about 3 tbsp. chopped chives
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 4 oz. mushrooms, finely diced
- 6 sun dried tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
In a medium frying pan, heat some olive oil. Add the chopped onion, garlic, bell peppers and a pinch of Salt. Let cook 2 minutes on a lower heat. Add mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes; let cook another couple minutes. Let cool when cooked. While the veggies are cooling, in a large bowl combine the Beans, Oats, Bread Crumbs and all the spices and chives. Toss a little and add the egg. Using your hands to mix the mixture until it's slightly sticky and about 3/4 of the beans are smashed. Add in the veggies. Continue to work with your hands. If the mix feels a little dry, add water by the teaspoon until right. If it's too wet, add bread crumbs : ) Form 8 burger patties. Refrigerate for about an hour. (you can also place these pouches in a ziploc bag and freeze for up to a couple of weeks) To cook, unwrap the burgers from the plastic and cook in a heated skillet with cooking spray or olive oil in the bottom. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.
PS these should always be cooked on a skillet or frying pan. Unfortunately, they can fall apart if cooked on the bbq.