Monday, March 28, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff

This stroganoff was the "loser" in my Round 2 submission for the Crockpot March Madness going on right now at 365 Days of Slow Cooking. It was a hearty comfort-food meal that yielded more leftovers than I know what to do with; this would be a great dinner to divide and then throw half in the freezer.

I already have some ideas to lighten up this dish, so look for updates, but this was delicious as is. It certainly gave the Cafe Rio Chicken some serious competition!


Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff
from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
  • 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 Tbsp dehydrated onion or 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 (4 oz) can mushrooms, drained
  • 1 (13.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Combine the chicken, onion, mushrooms, cream of chicken soup, and tomato sauce in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours. Shred the chicken and add in the parsley, sour cream and salt and pepper. Stir and turn to HIGH. Let sit without lid for 10-15 minutes. Serve over egg noodles.

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I look forward to seeing how you lighten this up. Maybe using chicken broth and fresh vegetables?

    I definitely need to utilize my Crockpot more, especially that it's already getting warm down here in Florida to have the oven on all day.

    Have you tried using Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream? For the past few months I have used it for everything. On nachos, potatoes, in place of heavy cream in pastas. It wasn't a huge change, but I definitely feel better about going in for that extra scoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM. I love stroganoff, but haven't had it in years due to my beef hating hubby. This might satiate the craving!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails