Saturday, March 26, 2011

Asian Couscous Salad

Couscous has only been on my radar for a year or two and I'm sorry for the years I've missed out.  It's so easy to make and has such a distinctive flavor.

I've seen this salad on several different sites, and even though I was afraid my husband wouldn't like this, I added it to the menu alongside some meatballs.  It comes together so quickly, making it the perfect weeknight dinner.


Asian Couscous Salad

  • 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 3/4 of 16 oz bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix
  • 2 carrots, shredded
  • 3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup sliced and toasted almonds
  • 1/3 cup crunchy chow mein noodles (optional)
  • 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil (or oil of your preference)
  • 1 TB hoisin sauce
  • 1 TB honey
  • 1-2 cloves minced or pressed garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste

In small bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, oil, hoisin, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Bring 1 1/4 cups water to boil. Add 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous. Take off heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Once couscous has absorbed water, fluff with a fork and let cool.

In large bowl combine shredded coleslaw mix, carrots, green onion and almonds (and crunchy noodles if adding). Add cooled couscous to mixture and gently combine. Add dressing to salad and toss. Taste for additional salt and pepper. Can be served immediately at room temperature or refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for ways to use couscous--love this Asian spin! I'd add some chicken and make it a complete meal!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails