Asian Couscous Salad
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 of 16 oz bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced and toasted almonds
- 1/3 cup crunchy chow mein noodles (optional)
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or oil of your preference)
- 1 TB hoisin sauce
- 1 TB honey
- 1-2 cloves minced or pressed garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
In small bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, oil, hoisin, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Bring 1 1/4 cups water to boil. Add 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous. Take off heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Once couscous has absorbed water, fluff with a fork and let cool.
In large bowl combine shredded coleslaw mix, carrots, green onion and almonds (and crunchy noodles if adding). Add cooled couscous to mixture and gently combine. Add dressing to salad and toss. Taste for additional salt and pepper. Can be served immediately at room temperature or refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.