Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Taco Stuffed Peppers

My most recent recipe exchange dish came from my friend Kelly. I admit I was skeptical - I only just recently discovered that maybe I DO like peppers, so I was nervous that this would be a bit too in-your-face for me.

This, however, was delicious. I learned that I like yellow peppers better than green, and the leftovers made for a great to-go lunch. And the fact that this is weight-watchers friendly (5points+ per pepper) is an added bonus!

I changed a few things to accommodate our palates as well as what I had on hand, so check out Kelly's site for the original.


Taco Stuffed Peppers
adapted from Running Mama Cooks

6 medium sweet bell peppers (I used red and yellow)
1 Tbs salt
1/2 C cooked couscous
2 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 green onions, sliced
1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/4 black pepper, plus more to taste
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
3/4 C Mexican blend cheese
tortilla chips, just a handful and more for serving if desired.

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare peppers by washing, slicing tops off, and removing insides. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. Boil whole peppers for about 3-4 minutes, until they begin to soften. Remove from water with tongs and place on paper towels to drain.

Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add corn, beans, green onions, taco seasoning, kosher salt, and pepper. Stir until corn and beans are heated through, about 5 minutes. Place peppers in a baking dish. Remove skillet from heat and add couscous, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup cheese. Stir to combine well and give it a taste. Add additional salt, pepper, and taco seasoning to your liking. Then evenly divide mixture between peppers. Top peppers with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Serve with tortilla chips and desired toppings (sour cream, avocado, cheese, etc...)

5 comments:

  1. No need to pre boil the peppers. They will cook in the oven. Aren't they pretty mushy after pre boiling and then and additional 30 min in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't boil the peppers for very long (just four minutes) and mine were perfect. They were soft but not mushy after baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been making a similar dish for about 10 years now, based on one I used to order at a restaurant in Gainesville, FL. I typically skip the taco seasoning (too much salt and additives) and use cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, etc. I also put in chopped spinach (preferably fresh), small diced sweet potato (usually pre-cooked in the toaster to soften it up), and any other veggie that is hanging in the fridge. This is definitely one of my fave dishes, and you are right, it makes a GREAT lunch the next day(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a pampered chef deep dish baker (magic pot)? Did you cover it with the lid in the oven or without the lid?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS a Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker (magic pot)! I love my magic pot and use it all the time! :) (and I see them too!) I'm sure you could make this dish with the lid on or off. I like to cook meals with the lid on when possible. I think it adds to the way it cooks the meal. :) klshirley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails