Monday, March 7, 2011

Stovetop Mac and Cheese with Bacon and Broccoli

I just love doing recipe exchanges. I love thinking about which dish I want to submit, and then I anxiously await my assignment. I always get nervous. Will we like it? Will it require weird ingredients that I'll have to buy and never use again? Will it be easy to make while 2 energetic young boys run around my kitchen?

This is my third exchange with my online group (I still haven't blogged the second - yikes!) and I'm three-for-three. Melissa submitted Alton Brown's Stovetop Mac and Cheese, and you probably all know how much I love anything pasta-related, especially mac and cheese. I definitely have my favorites, but I love trying new variations.

This is definitely another one to add to the rotation. At first, I was really wary of the quantity. HALF a box of elbows was going to feed all four of us? I was positive I'd be making some sandwiches later. But don't be deceived - we all ate it and there was still some leftover.

I wasn't a huge fan of the cheese and sauce combo, but it was so fast and easy that it doesn't matter. Next time I would probably use half cheddar and half American, my usual cheese concoction. I also took Melissa's advice and added some turkey bacon. Yum - this was a hit for the whole family!


Stovetop Mac and Cheese with Bacon and Broccoli
adapted from Alton Brown, as seen on I Was Born to Cook

  • 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 ounces evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Fresh black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 10 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 1 package frozen broccoli, cooked
  • 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese, bacon, and brocolli. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you all loved it...told you it was good! :) And could it be any easier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man that looks good! My PITA picky eaters wouldn't touch it so I might have to just make this for myself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. making this this week. looks GREAT~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails