Sunday, March 27, 2011

Crockpot Cafe Rio Chicken

When 365 Days of Slow Cooking announced a crockpot version of March Madness, I jumped at the opportunity to participate. My NCAA bracket went up in smoke early on (thankyouverymuch to the two students who suggested I send Syracuse and UCLA to the finals) so I was excited about a second chance.

My little piece of the tournament included this Cafe Rio Chicken against Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff (stay tuned for that recipe tomorrow). I didn't have high hopes for the Cafe Rio dish; who doesn't love a good stroganoff?

I shouldn't have underestimated Cafe Rio, however; the stroganoff put up a good fight but this one ultimately took the win.

I adjusted the quantities (I made maybe 1/4-1/3 of the original recipe below) because I don't have an army to feed, but if you're having company, this is such an easy (and SO CHEAP!) slow cooker meal.


Cafe Rio Chicken
from 365 of Slow Cooking
  • 5lbs of chicken thighs and/or breasts
  • 1 (8 oz) bottle zesty Italian dressing
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
Mix Italian dressing, chili powder, cumin, and garlic in a bowl. Place chicken on bottom of a greased slow cooker. Pour mixture in bowl over the top of chicken. Cook on HIGH 5-6 hours. Shred chicken with a fork and reserve juice to pour over chicken when serving. Makes 15 servings.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry - just realized I left that part out! I adjust the recipe. I used 1/12-2 pounds. My apologies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this in the crockpot right now -- I'm making this recipe, along with zuppa toscana, for the next round of the March Madness crockpot tourney! Small world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you serve it over rice? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I served it over couscous - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this yesterday and somehow managed to overcook it. Never have I ever overcooked something in my crockpot before. I made the whole batch figuring I could freeze it. It's still usable, probably for quesadilla fillings, but I want to try it again because your picture looks so moist and tender!

    (Maybe I shouldn't have turned the crockpot on and left for the beach)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails