This could be an ever faster meal if you used Perdue Shortcuts and those microwaveable envelopes of rice. And I bet it'd be awesome to sub some pasta instead of rice. But honestly, it doesn't matter how you cook it - just cook it. This was just so freaken good.
- 2 T EVOO
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced (I skipped the pepper, don't like it)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb diced ham (I just used pre-packaged, pre-diced)
- 2 c cooks, shredded chicken breast (used 2 fairly large chicken breasts)
- 4 T butter
- 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 14 oz can chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked rice (I used brown)
- 1 c shredded cheddar
- 1 c shredded mozzarella or swiss (I used a bit of both, and I never measure cheese, I use a lot)
Preheat oven to 350.
I precooked the chicken by cutting it into thin strips (to cook faster) and throwing it into a skillet with a bit of oil. Then I shredded from there.
Heat oil in a large, rimmed skillet over medium heat.
Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.
Then add the garlic, chicken and ham and cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.
Add the butter until it is melted, then stir in the flour, salt and pepper until combined.
Slowly stir in the chicken broth, then mix in the rice.
Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle the top with your cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. For the last 10 minutes place aluminum foil overtop for oozing cheese.