Friday, May 15, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

I think this is one of the easiest and yummiest meals I've made in a long time. Another success courtesy of Erica's Kitchen Adventures!


This could be an ever faster meal if you used Perdue Shortcuts and those microwaveable envelopes of rice. And I bet it'd be awesome to sub some pasta instead of rice. But honestly, it doesn't matter how you cook it - just cook it. This was just so freaken good.


Ingredients
  • 2 T EVOO
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, diced (I skipped the pepper, don't like it)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb diced ham (I just used pre-packaged, pre-diced)
  • 2 c cooks, shredded chicken breast (used 2 fairly large chicken breasts)
  • 4 T butter
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 14 oz can chicken broth
  • 3 cups cooked rice (I used brown)
  • 1 c shredded cheddar
  • 1 c shredded mozzarella or swiss (I used a bit of both, and I never measure cheese, I use a lot)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

I precooked the chicken by cutting it into thin strips (to cook faster) and throwing it into a skillet with a bit of oil. Then I shredded from there.

Heat oil in a large, rimmed skillet over medium heat.

Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.

Then add the garlic, chicken and ham and cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.

Add the butter until it is melted, then stir in the flour, salt and pepper until combined.

Slowly stir in the chicken broth, then mix in the rice.

Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle the top with your cheese.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. For the last 10 minutes place aluminum foil overtop for oozing cheese.

7 comments:

  1. Oooh this looks way better then the other recipe I have for this - I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great way to use leftovers, I bet it would even work with turkey. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great for a family meal

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious casserole - I love traditional chicken cordon bleu and this is a great way to enjoy the same flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made this last nite for supper and it was amazing. Even my picky 4 year old ate it (after picking out the "green things"). I made the rice ahead and mixed it with the white sauce, then layered the rice, sliced swiss, and the chicken mixture. Really good... now I'm craving chicken cordon blue lasagna though.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails