Sunday, December 12, 2010

Delicatessen Slow Chili

About a million years ago, I signed up to be a part of The Nest's "Test Kitchen" - I wasn't selected for the first round, but in July (like, 5 minutes before we moved!) I was contacted to be a part of a second installment.

The Nest Magazine sent me this recipe for Delicatessen Slow Chili... along with the All-Clad Metalcrafters Soup Pot (for which I canNOT find a link).  Sweet!

So I stumbled around boxes and packing tape and donation piles and created our last real meal in our little townhouse.  There's something kind of off about eating chili in July, but it was one of the best chili's I've ever made.  


The recipe/giveaway was a part of their Fall 2010 issue, but alas - my photo and comments ended up on the cutting room floor.  Booo.  (Do magazines have a cutting room floor?)  However, not only did I snag an awesome new pot (which I highly recommend - I use it ALL the time!), but to make up for it, The Nest Magazine gave me another go-around with a new recipe for their Winter 2010 issue - I can't wait to blog about that one too, once the issue is out.


I couldn't find a link to the recipe, so I'm typing it out as it appears in the magazine, with my changes in parenthesis.  Don't be put off by the number of ingredients; we all probably have 90% on hand (or appropriate substitutions).

Delicatessen Slow Chili
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michael Ferraro, executive chef at Delicatessen in NYC
  • 1/2 pound pork shoulder, diced
  • 1/2 ground beef (I omitted the pork and doubled the beef)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 large onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, roasted (I omitted and diced 2 cloves)
  • 1 1/2 chipotle en adobe, finely chopped 
  • 1/2 cup cooked pinto beans (I used one can)
  • 1/2 cup cooked kidney beans (I used one can)
  • 1 1/2 cups canned and peeled Italian plum tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup white beef stock (couldn't find "white" anywhere, so I used regular)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon sriracha hot chili sauce
  • Optional toppings: sliced avocado, sour cream, sliced scallions, shredded cheddar...
Season the pork and beef with kosher salt and pepper.

Heat pot over high heat.  Add oil and then the pork and beef.  Cook for 10 minutes until browned.

Drain off excess oil and add dried seasonings.

Remove meat from the pan and set aside.

Add the onions and minced garlic to pot and cook until tender.

Add chipotle en adobe and roasted garlic.

Add the meat and the rest of the ingredients and cook over a slow simmer for 2 hours, continuously skimming excess fat.

Taste and add final seasoning of salt and pepper.

Serve with desired toppings.  (I served this over rice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails