Monday, December 13, 2010

Crockpot Sausage and Hash-Brown Casserole

My sister-in-law bought me Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever for Christmas last year, and I LOVE it - the title is totally appropriate.  I use it often because, as we all know, I love my crockpot.

I didn't waste any time using it, and prepared the Sausage and Hashbrown Casserole for a brunch on New Year's Eve.  Yes, I'm a bit late in posting this; I'm planning my menu for this year's brunch, and it occurred to me that, though I've made this several times since, I've never posted it on my blog.


The photo isn't overly attractive, as is usually the case with crockpot meals, but the taste is outrageous.  It is so good and has been quite a crowd-pleaser.  It's perfect for company because you do a little bit of prep ahead of time and then dump it in the crockpot while you can tend to other dishes - or just relax on the couch with a mimosa.

(I usually ditch the layering part of the directions and just kind of mix it all up.)

Sausage and Hash-Brown Casserole
Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever
  • 1 1/2 poulds bulk pork sausage
  • 2 medium onions, finely chopped
  • 1 Anaheim chili, cored, seeded and finely chopped (I usually omit)
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 16oz package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, defrosted, or 2 cups fresh shredded hash browns
  • 6 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup prepared salsa 
  • 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese, or 1 cup each shredded Cheddar and pepper Jack
Coat the inside of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or line the insert with a slow-cooker liner according to the manufacturer's directions.

Cook the sausage in a large skillet over high heat until it is no longer pink, breaking up any large pieces with the side of a spoon.

Remove all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan and heat over medium-high heat.  Add the onions, chile bell pepper, cumin, and oregano and saute until the onions are softened and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.  Transfer the mixture to a bowl and allow to cool.

Add the potatoes to the bowl and stir to blend.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and mayonnaise.  Pour over the sausage and potato mixture and stir to combine.

Transfer half the mixture to the slow-cooker insert, then cover with half the salsa and half the cheese.  Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients.  Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the casserole is puffed and cooked through (170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer).  Remove the cover and allow the frittata to rest for 30 minutes.

Serve from the cooker set on warm.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry - I posted without finishing! I added the cooking directions. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to use my crockpot more often. I love breakfast bakes and this has all the required ingredients for a tasty breakfast-for-dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this for dinner last night and it was really good. I didn't use the chili that you leave out and I also didn't use the mayonnaise because I have a weird thing with mayonnaise and it still turned out really good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails