Saturday, January 10, 2009

Creamy Stove-Top Mac and Cheese

I'm a bit skeptical about posting this in light of all of the recent drama Elizabeth encountered regarding myrecipes.com, but I am going to do my best to follow the "philosophy" of my blog while avoiding receiving a similar email. ;)

I made this dish at the very last minute, when my attempts at a crockpot Beef Stroganoff failed miserably. I already had the whole wheat egg noodles boiling but didn't have any sauce defrosted. I remembered getting a mac and cheese email from myrecipes.com and decided to make that instead.


This really wasn't as good as it could have been, but that was simply due to the changes I had to make at the very last minute. I had no regular flour and had to use whole wheat, and a yucky brand at that. I had no cheddar and used mozzarella. For an on-the-fly dinner it was okay, but I would love to give it another go without having to make substitutions.
Ingredients
4 cups uncooked medium elbow macaroni (or any pasta)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/4 cups fat-free milk
1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Cook the pasta according to package/personal taste; set aside.
In a large saucepan, make a roux (how the hell do you spell that??) with the flour, salt, pepper, and milk. Once blended, add the cream cheese and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and allow to thicken for a few minutes. Add the mustard, Worcestershire, and garlic and simmer.
Remove from heat and stir in the cheese; combine with pasta.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails