Monday, March 31, 2008

Pork Chops and Golden Apple/Raisin Sauce

I'm not really much of a pork fan, but I try to cook it once a week or so; otherwise, we'd be eating chicken every night!

This is a Rachael Ray dish (surprise...) and wasn't bad. Ryan, as usual, wouldn't touch the pork, but he did gobble up the apples like nobody's business.

I thought that using 4 apples was WAY too much; I was initially wary of chopping up so much and I wish I had followed my instinct. I have a plastic container in my fridge FULL of the stuff... I also wasn't super crazy about the mustard/syrup thing at the end.

Not my favorite meal, but it was edible...



Pork Chops, Golden Apple and Raisin Sauce, and Whole Wheat Pasta Mac-and-Cheddar
(I didn't do the mac-and-cheese thing.)

Salt
1/2 pound whole wheat shells or penne pasta
4 golden apples, cored and chopped
1 cup cloudy apple cider
3 tablespoons brown sugar
A handful golden raisins
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 large center cut pork loin chops, 1 1/2-inch thick
Black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 rounded tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 pound extra-sharp white cheddar
A few grates nutmeg, to taste
Dash hot sauce
2 cups broccoli tops, cut into small florets
2 tablespoons spicy brown or grainy Dijon mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
Heat a large pot of water for pasta. Season water with salt and cook pasta to al dente.

Add apples to a medium pot and stir in cider, sugar, raisins, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Place pot over medium-high heat and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.

Season chops with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chops and cook 6 to 7 minutes on each side.

While chops cook, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a sauce pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook a minute then whisk in milk and season with salt and pepper. Grate cheese and stir into sauce and season with nutmeg, to taste, and a dash of hot sauce. Reduce heat to low.

Add broccoli to pasta last 2 minutes of cook time. Drain and return to pasta pot. Add cheese sauce and stir to coat.

Add mustard and syrup to chops and glaze, 1 minute.

Serve pork with apple sauce, macaroni and cheddar with broccoli along side.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails