Monday, March 10, 2008

Mocha Chip Scones

"My scone? MY scone!"

Ahh, I love Friends. Similarly, I love coffee. And chocolate. And baked goods. So what could be better than a Mocha Chip Scone with which to enjoy my ginormous morning coffee?


I'm not usually a big Sandra Lee fan, but when I saw this recipe on the Food Network site, I knew I had to make it. For me, breakfast during the week is usually a FiberOne bar, or, lately, a VitaTop, which is usually frantically consumed during my early morning prep period at school.

Well, move over, stuff-in-a-box; these scones just might become my new regular. They are. So. Good.

I can't really taste the coffee, which seems odd, but otherwise - DELIGHTFUL! Even Pat liked them, and he's not really the scone type. (Although he DOES like anything with chocolate chips...) I will FOR SURE be making these again - and SOON!

1/4 cup brewed coffee (recommended: Folgers Gourmet Supreme Roast Coffee), double strength, cooled (I used Dunkin Donuts coffee, and afterwards I realized that it was cinnamon-flavored. Oh well - cinnamon goes quite nicely with coffee and chocolate, right?)
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 large eggs, lightly beaten separately
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups baking mix (Thank you to the lovely girls on the Nest who very nicely, without mocking me, informed me that this is simply Bisquick. And an even bigger thank you to Patrick who, when he was mere blocks from home, turned right back around and went to the store to get me more when I was in the middle of baking!)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup white baking chips (I just used all chocolate.)
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon heavy cream
White decorating sugar or sanding sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine coffee, cream, 1 egg, and vanilla extract; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine baking mix, sugar, white baking, and chocolate chips.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and work into a crumbly dough. On a lightly floured surface, form dough into a 9-inch disk (approximately 1/2-inch thick). Cut into 12 wedges and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Set aside. (I found this to be very difficult. She wasn't kidding when she said "crumbly" dough! It was almost impossible to form it into the disk, cut into wedges, and place on the sheet. I made quite a mess...)

In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cream and remaining beaten egg. Brush tops of scones with egg mixture and sprinkle with sanding sugar.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails