Friday, August 27, 2010

Tri Colore Orzo

I love pasta salads, and when I need a new one, I almost always turn to my friend Colleen's blog; I consider her a pasta salad guru!

I made this for a party, and I was astounded by how many compliments it received. It almost seems unfair since the most work this salad requires is boiling the orzo... but the flavor combination is just unreal and is perfect for a casual barbecue or a formal dinner party.


Ingredients
  • 1 pound orzo pasta
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
  • 2 cups fresh arugula (about 3 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata cheese (or feta cheese)
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries (like Colleen, I used dried cranberries)
  • 12 fresh basil leaves, torn
  • 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (I omitted)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and put the pasta on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle the pasta with 3 tablespoons olive oil, toss, spread out, and set aside to cool.

Once the orzo is cool, transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss gently to combine. Serve.

2 comments:

  1. This is THE BEST pasta salad in the world.....well maybe the best that comes out of my kitchen. It tastes like something you would buy and would be so hard to make. I was shocked I could do it myself. We fight over the leftovers in my house and it gets ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again for the honor :) This is one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails