Wednesday, September 23, 2009

French Onion Pasta

I know I've said this before, but I love French Onion stuff. I couldn't wait to try this pasta dish from Stephanie Cooks; I made it a week or so ago when Pat's parents (and my brother!) came over for dinner. I don't usually like to try new things when I'm entertaining; I prefer something tried and true that for sure won't disappoint. But I knew this would be a success as soon as I read it, and it definitely was. I received several compliments on the meal, and have already made it a second time. Definitely a new favorite!


Ingredients
  • 2 cups of uncooked penne pasta
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO
  • 1 scallion, finely diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
  • 1/2 cup of marsala wine
  • 1 to 1.5 cup of chicken stock
  • 1 packet of Lipton's Onion Soup mix
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 4 tablespoons of light cream
  • 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese

1- Cook pasta according to directions, set aside and keep warm.

2- In a saucepan, heat the EVOO. Add the scallions and garlic, stir continually until soft and fragrant.

3- Add the marsala wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any stuck on pieces of onion.

4- Add the stock and soup mix packets, allow to cook on low for about 20 minutes.

5- Stir in flour, whisking continually until well incorporated and thickened.

6- Add the light cream, mix well.

7- Add the pasta to the sauce, stir well.

8- Pour into an oven safe dish. Top with the mozzarella cheese.

9- Set it under the broiler until the cheese gets a little crispy.

9 comments:

  1. I starred this too! Great minds think alike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds great..i wonder what it would taste like if i substituted vegetable stock for the chicken stock?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yayyyy I'm so glad you liked it! It was one of my first attempts at making up a recipe so I am glad it went well for you!

    Veggiechick120- you could definitely use vegetable stock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowowow impressive recipe! It looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gonna try this one soon! It sounds delicious and very flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really does sound (and look) delicious! I love French onion too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to try this one out sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails