Monday, August 31, 2009

Summer Evening Pasta

I really wanted to love this dish from Gillian's Goodies, but it just didn't speak to me the way I had hoped.  I thought it was kind of dry, and while I love each ingredient separately, I thought it lacked flavor as a whole.  I did leave out a couple of things, so maybe that was my problem, but I'm not so sure I'd make this again.

Ingredients:
  • 2 ripe, really fresh tomatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 tbsp. fresh basil, minced
  • 1/8 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tbsp. black or kalamata olives, chopped
  • 1-2 tsp. capers, drained
  • 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • Freshly-ground black pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1/2 pound short pasta (wagon wheels, butterflies, penne...)
  • 1/2 cup cooked white/navy beans
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Add the pre-cooked beans during the last few minutes of cooking time just to warm them through.
2. While the pasta cooks, place half of the tomatoes in a large bowl along with the onion, olives, capers, and basil.
3. Place the remaining tomato chunks into a blender or food processor bowl. Add the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic. Puree until smooth. Transfer this mixture to the bowl with the tomato-caper-basil mixture.
4. Once the pasta and beans are ready, drain and add them to the bowl with the tomato mixture. Toss well and serve

1 comment:

  1. well it LOOKS yummy, even if it was lacking something!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails