As is usual for a casserole dish, the photo doesn't do the dinner justice. But this blend of cheese, rice, and summer veggies was perfect, and I know I'll make it again.
- 1 1/3 pound package lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium zucchini or yellow squash, halved vertically and sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups rice, cooked (I used a boil-in-the-bag rice which yielded 3 cups of cooked rice)
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9 or two 8 x 8 baking dishes.
Cook turkey over medium heat in large skillet, drain. Add butter, zucchini, mushrooms, and green onions; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Drain if necessary. Stir in chili powder, salt, and garlic powder. Remove from heat.
If the skillet is big enough, add rice, green chilies, sour cream, and 1 cup shredded cheese to turkey mixture and stir to combine. If not, add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix.Turn mixture into baking dishes. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until heated through and slightly bubbly.