Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cheeseburger Meatloaf

Yep, another Rachael recipe. Not too surprising, however, when you consider that I own seven of her books, subscribe to her magazine, and watch her TV show when I can...



Anyway, this was pretty good. It was a bit weird because of the meat/quantity thing (see my notes) but it was good. I'd make it again. It's from her magazine, but when I ripped it out, I forgot to write which issue. I looked for it online, but couldn't find it.

Here it is:

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons "EVOO"
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped (I just used white.)
  • 2/3 cup ketchup (I also added about a tablespoon of mustard.)
  • 2/3 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup bread-and-butter pickle chips, chopped (I omitted because Pat doesn't like pickles. I'd love to try this WITH the pickles...)
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I actually used 2lbs, because I have my ground meat frozen in 1-lb packages. I added a little extra of everything. Oh, and I used turkey instead of beef.)
  • 8 ounces cheddar, cut into 1/3" cubes (I just used shredded.)
  • 2 pounds new red potatoes
  • 3/4 heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 400. Lightly oil a rimmed backing sheet. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, bread crumbs, eggs, and pickles; mix in the onions. Crumble in the beef, add the cheese, and mix together. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and shape into a 4x12" loaf. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160, about 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, half the potatoes and place them in a large pot with enough salted water to cover by an inch. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, return to the pot, and mash with the cream.

Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails