Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs

I've made these Rachael Ray meatballs before, and they were goooood. I wanted something extra to go along with my hearty bolognese, so these guys won! I found it a bit hard to get into nice round balls, but it worked. And both times I've made this, I had cheese leak out. Doesn't bother me any - who doesn't like gooey strands of mozzarella??



Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup milk or water
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • Salt
  • 1 pound lean ground sirloin (I used turkey.)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 20 (1/2-inch) cubes
  • Whatever sauce you are making to go along with the meatballs (I used the bolognese from the previous post.)
In a medium bowl, soak the bread crumbs in the milk.

Add the beef, chopped garlic, parsley, Parmigiano-Reggiano, egg and 1 teaspoon of salt to the soaked bread crumbs and stir with a fork until combined. Place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in your hand and press a mozzarella cube into the center. Shape the meat around the cheese, forming a ball. Repeat with the remaining meat and mozzarella.

Stir the sauce and raise the heat to medium- low. Carefully place the meatballs in the sauce, submerging them completely. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook without stirring for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails