Thursday, April 17, 2008

Kung Pao Chicken

When we get Chinese, Pat and I always get Chicken and Broccoli. Some may call us boring; some may say we're creatures of habit. *shrug*

Anyway, I've always tried making my own at home, and it never comes remotely close to Kam Luang Kitchen a few blocks away. While this recipe from It's Melissa's Kitchen still wasn't there, it was probably the closest I've ever come.


I used broccoli instead of peppers, and I also threw in a can of mushrooms. Oh, I also added chicken broth to make more sauce. Next time, I will do two things: use thin-sliced chicken, and double the ingredients for the sauce. I love extra sauce!

Ryan ate it too, and he's been picky lately. So this meal scores extra points. :)

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total), cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce, divided
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I used broccoli.)
  • 1 onion, peeled and very coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup roasted peanuts (I omitted.)

Combine chicken and 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce. Chill 30 minutes. In small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, crushed red pepper, and water. In wok or large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add reserved chicken mixture and garlic and stir-fry 3-4 minutes or until brown. Add bell pepper and onion and stir-fry 3 minutes. add cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened. Add peanuts and toss. Serve over rice.

Serves 4


2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. I keep working on making healthier versions of the "real thing," but somehow the healthier versions are never quite there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good. I LOVE this recipe for sesame chicken and brocolli - you might like it too:

    http://brooke-cookiejar.blogspot.com/2007/12/open-sesame.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails