Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Taco Rice Bowls

I've been in kind of a food rut lately. I don't feel like making old stuff, but nothing new is really striking my fancy either.

I sat down with a few cookbooks that I hadn't touched in months, hoping that something would jump out at me. Rachael Ray came to my rescue and I decided to adapt her Mexican Rice Bowls (click the link for the original).

I really love making a whole chicken in the crockpot and I'm always looking for different things to do with the shredded leftovers. These were really simple to throw together and rather delicious as well. This would make a great lunch when I go back to work.


Ingredients
  • 2-3 cups shredded chicken
  • 2 cups white rice
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1/2 packet taco seasoning (more if desired)
  • 1/2 cup tomato salsa
  • 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • Blue or red corn tortilla chips and salsa for serving (optional)
  • Optional garnish: shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado...

Heat a medium size pot over medium-heat; add EVOO and butter. When butter has melted into EVOO, add shredded chicken and the rice and cook a minute or two. Then add the chicken stock to the pot and the taco seasoning. Put a lid on the pot and raise to high heat to bring the stock to a quicker boil, 2-3 minutes. When the liquid boils, reduce heat to simmer and put the lid back on. Cook until the rice is tender but still a little chewy in the center, 13-15 minutes.

Take off the lid and stir in salsa and parsley. Turn off the heat and let stand five minutes.

Serve hot taco rice in bowls placed on dinner plates and garnish plates with chips and leftover salsa or taco sauce for dipping.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of those recipes that I'm thinking, why didn't I ever think of that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of any kind of Mexican cuisine and this looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails