Friday, November 27, 2009

Superbowl Snack Throwdown: Zinfandel Cranberry Sauce

Happy Day-After-Thanksgiving! While you are digesting your turkey and pie, click here to vote in this week's Throwdown, where the secret ingredient was wine. Scroll down a bit and vote for your favorite on the right.

For many families, Thanksgiving and football really go hand in hand. My family, however, has recently begun taking that relationship to new levels; yesterday, they played in the 2nd Annual Gellar Bowl (yes, we're a little obsessed with Friends here).

Prior to the feast, a bunch of the guys get together for a football game played on an open stretch of grass across the street from my house. Little by little, this game gained a life of its own, including jerseys, playbooks, and a delivery of pylons to my front door.

The Sparkling Wiggles (my brother-in-law, husband, and cousin):


Two-time champions, Semper Fun (my cousin's husband flanked by my two brothers):


After a champagne victory celebration and a few showers, we sat down to our traditional Thanksgiving feast. We've been hosting it at our house since 2003, and enjoy the coming together of both of our families.

While I really look to making things as easy as possible for myself (especially since I have to simultaneously care for my toddler and infant!), I also love to try new things. This year, I decided to ditch the cans of Ocean Spray and try my hand at homemade cranberry sauce.


I perused several recipes online and came up with what you see below. This dish was fabulous and super easy to create. It is elegant enough to grace your Thanksgiving table, but also casual enough for a laid-back football get-together. And as an added bonus, your house will smell fantastic as these are cooking!
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup white zinfandel wine
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 12oz fresh cranberries
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on high for two and a half hours, stirring every half hour or so.
After two and a half hours, mash the cranberries. Continue to cook on high for a half hour, uncovered.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails