This year, I have much to be thankful for, and I have to add Rachael Ray's Thanksgiving Turkey Meatloaf Burger to that list (and Juliann, from whom I got this recipe!). When it's April and you're craving a Thanksgiving meal but don't want to do the work, this is a pretty great alternative!
This burgers were perhaps the most delicious and flavorful patties I've had in a really long time. I had one leftover, and it was so good that I didn't even eat it on any bread. I just warmed it up and ate it. Heavenly!
I served them with sweet potato fries in an effort to be as Thanksgiving-y as possible.
(I probably should have remembered to take a photo BEFORE putting the top bun on the burger, huh...)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small mcintosh apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small rib celery, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 pound ground dark-meat turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (about 2/3 palmful)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Sliced sharp white cheddar, for topping
- 1/3 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 4 large sandwich-size sourdough English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 thin slices red onion
- 4 leaves red-leaf or red romaine lettuce
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the apple, onion and celery; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the breadcrumbs, then transfer to a bowl to cool; reserve the skillet. Mix in the turkey, egg, parsley, mustard and poultry seasoning; season with salt and pepper. Form into four 4-inch patties.
Wipe out the reserved skillet and add a liberal drizzle of EVOO. Warm over medium-high heat, add the patties and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Top with the cheddar during the last minute.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cranberry sauce, sour cream and chives.
Serve the patties on the English muffins with the onion, lettuce and cranberry-sour cream sauce.