I changed a couple of things, but overall kept it the same. This was such a great dinner to make on this weird, cold, snowy day.
This was REALLY good... except when my husband complained that I didn't make enough of it for a substantial amount of leftovers. Hee hee!
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 4 slices cubed whole wheat bread, about 4 cups
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) shredded cooked chicken (I diced up three chicken thighs and cooked them up on the stove)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss 4 tablespoons melted butter with next 3 ingredients; set aside. Sauté onions in one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until golden brown. Add mushrooms, and sauté 3-5 minutes. Stir in wine and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until bubbly. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish; top evenly with bread mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.